Rodrigo "Rody" Roa Duterte (born March 28, 1945), nicknamed Digong, is a Filipino lawyer and politician of Visayan descent. Duterte is among the longest-serving mayors in the Philippines and has been mayor of Davao City, a highly urbanized city on Mindanao island, for 7 terms, totalling more than 22 years. He has also served as vice-mayor and congressman in the city.
On November 21, 2015, Duterte declared his candidacy for President of the Philippines in the upcoming 2016 election after a period of banter.
SynopsisDuterte was born on March 28, 1945 in Maasin, Leyte in the Philippine Commonwealth to Cebuano lawyer Vicente G. Duterte, who served as Governor of (the then-undivided) Davao and Soledad Roa, a native of Cabadbaran, Agusan who was a school teacher and a civic leader. Duterte's father Vicente, prior to being provincial governor of Davao, was once a mayor of Danao in Cebu. Rodrigo's cousin Ronald, on the other hand, served as Cebu City mayor from 1983 to 1986. Ronald’s father, Ramon Duterte, also held the position from 1957 to 1959. The Dutertes consider the political families of the Durano and the Almendras clan as relatives. Duterte also has relatives from the Roa clan in Leyte through his mother's side. Before they resettled to Davao, Duterte's family lived in his father's hometown in Danao, Cebu until he was five years old.
EducationRodrigo spent his elementary days at the Sta. Ana Elementary School in Davao City, where he graduated in 1956. He finished his secondary education at the Holy Cross Academy of Digos in Digos City, Davao del Sur after being expelled twice from previous schools, including one in Ateneo de Davao University due to misconduct. At the tertiary level, he graduated in 1968 as a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science the Lyceum of the Philippines University in Manila. He also obtained a law degree from San Beda College of Law, still in Manila, in 1972. In the same year, he passed the bar exam. Duterte eventually became Special Counsel at the City Prosecution Office in Davao City from 1977-1979; Fourth Assistant City Prosecutor from 1979-1981; Third Assistant City Prosecutor from 1981-1983; and Second Assistant City Prosecutor from 1983-1986.
TOP 10 About Rodrigo Duterte1. Siya ang kauna-unahang nagpasa ng Women Development Code (City Ordinance 5004) sa buong Pilipinas.
2. Nagmumura siya pero kasama ng kanyang plataporma ay ibalik ang GMRC at Values Education sa curriculum ng mga eskwelahan.
3. Pumapatay siya ng kriminal pero siya rin ang nangunguna sa pagpaparehab ng mga kabataang lulong sa droga at binibigyan pa niya ito ng P2,000 monthly allowance.
4. Dating lansenggo at chain-smoker pero mahigpit na
ipinagbabawal ang pininigarilyo sa siyudad at may liquor ban pa ng hanggang 1am lang.
5. Hindi maganda ang tabas ng dila pero nagpatupad ng Anti-Discrimination Ordinance.
Bawal i-discriminate ang Muslim, Kristiyano, Lumad, bakla, lesbian, transsexual, may kapansanan, ordinaryong mamamayan at kahit sino man.
6. Barumbado, mahilig sa baril pero nagpatubad ng fire-cracker ban tuwing Pasko at New Year. Davao lang zero casualty sa paputok kada taon.
7. Protektor daw ng NPA at MILF pero andaming mga sundalo at pulis ang kanyang na rescue sa mga rebeldeng grupo. Mas marami pa siyang nagawa kaysa sa administrasyon.
8. Kaskasero noong kanyang kabataan, nagpapatakbo ng 180 kph sa motor. Pero nagpatupad ng speed limit sa Davao para sa kaligtasan ng mamamayan.
8. Diktador daw at masama ugali pero siya ang unang unang
rumesponde sa Tacloban na sinalanta ng bagyong Yolanda.
9. Mayabang daw pero ni isa sa kanyang proyekto ay wala ang kanyang mukha at pangalan.
10. Asal kanto, ugaling kalye pero WORLD CLASS ang serbisyo. And take note, lahat ng tao nakikinabang sa kanyang serbisyo, hindi lang ang mayayaman.
- Davao Central 911
(The only 911 in Asia. Equipments are all US- made. All services are free.)
- California Traffic Light System (Most modern in the Philippines.
Sensorized, centralized to Traffic Center and Central 911)
- High-tech CCTVs, again the most modern in the Philippines.
- Public Safety Command Center powered by IBM (US technology
giant company) making Davao the only Smart City in the
The fastest that can respond to crime and disaster.
- State of the art facilities of a GOVERNMENT hospital. Yes, the most modern hospital equipments in Davao are not in private hospitals but in a government hosptital - the Southern Philippines Medical Center (formerly Davao Medical Center).
Sagot niya ang gastusin ng mga batang may cancer sa Davao at kahit hindi taga Davao.
Kaya para sa inyong hindi siya kilala at bulag sa katotohanan, let me say this.
He is actually making a sacrifice to us. Let him be the
sinner, let him do the dirty work. Because he said, he must do the things that he must do as ugly as it can be because nobody in the government will do it for the people. In the end, only God can judge him on the things that he's done.
"I don't care if I go to hell as long as the people I serve will live in paradise." - Rodrigo Duterte